3 out of 5
Nose sting and tongue sting were the common characteristic of this sampler, for my taste. Here is my breakdown of the 5:
1) Royalty: Great, elegant taste, nose, tied for my favorite.
2) English: Hated it. Will probably toss the tin, or save it for at least a year before trying another bowl. Harsh, dry, not my cup of tea, chaps!
3) Flake Medallions: These are pretty juicy. A smell of vinegar hits you when you crack the can, instantly followed by an enticing, anticipatory smell of impending excitement. Sadly, the medallions didn't blow my hair back too much.
4) Danish: My personal favorite, strong, full smell, very rich, complex, and strangely, the smoothest of the bunch!
5) Scottish: Faint aroma, nose-sting, but super-tasty, but then HOT! The taste was initially a tie with Danish, but then Danish won after due consideration.
It is possible that these tins were a bit dryer than they should be, but I am not sure. Overall, the aromas were mostly weak, and i don't think that I will be in any hurry to try Davidoff pipe tobacco again.